We welcome the first source release of LibreOffice Online, which has been released with LibreOffice 5.3. This is exciting news! Some people may wonder what the differences are between this new release and CODE (Collabora Online Development Edition) or Collabora Online, we’ll explain that below.
- LibreOffice Online 5.3 – source
- LibreOffice Online while being fairly small has a very tight coupling to the underlying LibreOffice core version it works on, it requires that version.
- TDF provide a source release that matches the LibreOffice 5.3 release branch suitable for packagers.
- LibreOffice Online Docker Image
- This is a convenient docker image at: https://hub.docker.com/r/libreoffice/online/.
- This is a very regularly updated snapshot of the latest master build of both online and LibreOffice that has passed both the LibreOffice and online automated testing.
- Great for home use as well as enjoying the latest translations and developments.
- A somewhat more conservative version – but still a development edition – of LibreOffice Online, aimed at home use.
- Builds are released on average once a month and announced on https://www.collaboraoffice.com/news/.
- Instead of using LibreOffice, its built around the Collabora Office core.
- Documentation on getting it set up is available at https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/.
- Available as a docker image at: https://hub.docker.com/r/collabora/code/.
- The production-ready edition of LibreOffice in the Cloud, with Long Term Support, a SLA and signed security updates.
- Built around the Collabora Office core.
- Partners and customers receive frequent updates.
- Advanced technical documentation and support available.
- Online trials in ownCloud, Nextcloud, Pydio and Seafile available.
- Enterprises can get Collabora Online in their favourite file share and sync software via one of our partners. Collabora can also provide tailored solutions.
- Cloud and Hosting providers can offer Collabora Online to their customers by becoming a partner.
Collabora, a leading contributor to the LibreOffice codebase and community, is the driving force behind putting LibreOffice in the Cloud. Initial development started back in 2011 and four years later, in 2015, CODE (Collabora Online Development Edition) was created, allowing people to check out LibreOffice in the Cloud for the very first time. Shortly after this, Collabora released the production-ready Collabora Online 1.0.
We encourage people to contribute and get involved. While Collabora has done 99% of code commits so far – we would really love to have more people involved. Do send patches to gerrit or to the development-list to get in touch.